After many trials, I quit bread making sometime ago. No matter how hard I tried, the result was always a brick like loaf. I have tried adding gluten, tried kneading for a longer time, let the dough raise for a longer time, but the end result was always the same – a thick, hard loaf!! So I finally I gave up trying and settled down for bakery bread. Last week, once again the ‘bread bug’ bit me and I was all eager to try again.
This time I watched a lot of videos about kneading the dough and browsed a lot about bread making mistakes/failures. Armed with this experience, I started once again. Somehow I wasn’t totally surprised when the bread turned out to be hard! It wasnt very bad, but it wasn’t as soft as I would have liked. It’s always the same recipe, from America’s test kitchen’s baking book, this time modified for whole wheat bread.
Anyway, I couldn’t bring myself to throw the bread out- so decided to serve them as French toast for breakfast. With the egg and milk mixture moistening it , the vanilla essence and cinnamon flavouring it, the bread was actually a treat to eat. So here is my recipe for French toast.
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tsp sugar
a pinch of salt
5-6 pieces of thickly sliced bread
- Break the eggs into a clean, big bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the bread, and whisk nicely.
- Heat a pan and melt some butter in it.
- Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture and fry till brown.
- Flip over and cook the other side.
- Serve with honey or syrup. Bebo likes it sprinkled with icing sugar!