Blogging Marathon #139 Week 3, Day 3
Theme : Easy breakfast recipes
I wanted to make a big breakfast platter with a lot of fruits, yogurt and French toast, all of which is easy to assemble and prepare. I ran out of bread, so ended up making pancakes instead. I also ran out of berries, those would have been a colorful addition to any breakfast board!
The pancakes here are gingerbread flavor. I have been using this base recipe for a longtime now. I added some cinnamon powder and dried ground ginger to the base recipe to get the gingerbread flavor. It’s a good combination for fall/winter. For regular pancakes, you can skip these two and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the liquid mixture.
I used the same batter to make some waffles too, this was just to speed up the process. Faster cooking time is important when you have to feed a hungry teenager 😊!
To assemble the board, arrange the pancakes (and waffles) first. Add the syrup in small ramekins/bowls and keep on the sides. Arrange fruits of your choice to fill the rest of the board. Serve and enjoy!
- 1 cup all purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar/molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil/ melted butter
- Butter/oil to grease the pan
*Can substitute whole wheat flour in whatever proportion you like to make up 1 cup flour in total.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the milk and buttermilk. Heat for 15-20 seconds till it’s lukewarm. Add the egg and oil. Mix well.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix well with a whisk until it’s all smooth and combined.
- Heat and grease a pan. Make pancakes with the batter. Serve with maple syrup and fruits of your choice.