Blogging Marathon #140 Week 2, Day 1
Theme: Easy Dinner Ideas
I have been making some or the other version of this Pulao for over a decade now. This is a very versatile recipe and you can add whatever you have in the fridge to make it. The simplest form of it is grinding chilies, ginger and garlic with green chilies and coriander leaves, with or without mint leaves. You can add some masalas for aroma. You can even skip those and yet have a flavorful Pulao.
Each time I make it, the veggies that go into it changes to whatever I have at home that time. You cannot of course use water releasing veggies like cucumber or squash but most of the veggies that hold shape after cooking will work. paneer is of course an excellent addition. Makes it a whole one pot meal.
I made this to serve with Aloo chana but you really don’t need to prepare a side dish to go with this. Plain yogurt or even pickle and papad/chips would suit this too.
Read on for how I prepared it this time.
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves
- 1” piece ginger, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 green chilies
- 1” piece cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter/oil
- 1.5 cup chopped mixed vegetables (carrot/beans/potatoes/cauliflower/broccoli/peas/corn/bell peppers etc)
- 1 cup paneer cubes
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice. Set aside. Chop whatever vegetables you have to make go about 1.5 cups.
- Without adding any water, grind ingredients 1 to6 in a mixer jar. The coriander leaves need to be washed, so the wetness from the leaves is enough for grinding.
- Heat ghee/ butter in Instant pot in Sauté mode. Add the vegetables. Mix to coat with ghee. Now add the ground paste. Mix well. Cook until there is a nice aroma, about 2-3 minutes. Add a spoon or two of water and scrape off if something sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain the water and add the rice, paneer cubes and 1.5 cups water. Cover and change mode to Rice. Let the pressure release naturally once it’s done.
- open the lid and mix carefully and serve!
One thought on “Simple Veg Pulao”
These kind of dishes are the best if you need to carry something on outings. Especially with the climate here now, it is best to make such dishes and enjoy them under beautiful weather. Lovely pot of pulao…