Blogging Marathon #140 Week 2, Day 3
Theme: Easy Dinner Ideas
This recipe is from Pavani’s Instant Pot cookbook. I have made this recipe multiple times now but unfortunately this is only picture I haven taken of this dish so far. It’s from a long way back when I first tried the recipe. Reminds me that I really have to get into clicking pictures the next time I prepare it.
Whenever I buy spinach I have this big ideas of making this and that but more often than not, I end up making this rice with it. I usually double this recipe since i usually buy 16oz/450gm packets of spinach. The flavors are the simple, basic taste of garlic and chilies with a dash of lemon juice with spinach being the star. The reicpe mentions one tablespoon of lemon juice but sometimes I add a little more. No ground spices/ masalas at all. I really love this recipe and it’s one of my go to recipes especially when we have guests with young kids coming over.
Here is the recipe below.
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil/butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green chili, minced (or to taste)
- 8 oz spinach, chopped
- Salt, pepper, lemon juice per taste
- Wash, rinse and soak the rice in 2 cups water. Set aside. Prep the veggies.
- Press Sauté mode in your Instant pot. Add butter or oil to the inner pot. When it is hot, sauté onion, garlic and green chilies for a minute or two till onions turn pink. Scrape the bottom of the pan to ensure nothing is sticking/burnt.
- Add everything else, including rice and the water in which it’s soaked. Mix well. Cover with the lid. Cook in Manual/ Pressure cook mode for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure 10 minutes after the timer goes off on your IP. Alternatively, use Rice mode to cook and let the steam release naturally.
- Serve with yogurt or dal on the side.
One thought on “Spinach rice”
What a simple recipe for a rice! I must try this soon…