Blogging Marathon #139 Week 3, Day 1
Theme : Kids Delight – Easy breakfast recipes
Oatmeal is one of the standard breakfast foods at our place. This basic recipe can take endless avatars based on the toppings and flavorings you add to it. Today recipe is a peanut butter oatmeal topped with lots of strawberries.
When cooking rolled oats (not quick cooking), I like to soak it a little ahead or even overnight in fridge. I like to use water to soak instead of milk. If it’s for a short time, I use hot water from the kettle. This cuts down the cooking time by a lot! You don’t have to cook the overnight oats but I like to eat it hot, so I end up cooking anyway.
I also like to add the oatmeal with whatever I have at home. A few of the regular additions are:
- Peanut butter
- Jam/ fruit preserve
- Dried ginger
- Pinch of cardamom
- Pinch of saffron
- Chopped walnuts or almonds
- Fruits – mainly finely chopped apples
One regular combination is chopped apples, walnuts and raisins with honey as a sweetener.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- Honey to drizzle, optional
- Cook oatmeal with milk and water as needed until done. The amount of water can be adjusted based on how you want the consistency to be. I also like to soak rolled oats in hot water for a few minutes (or as long as you can) to cook it faster. At the time of cooking, just add milk and cook until done.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with peanut butter and strawberries or fruits of your choice, drizzle with honey and serve. I like to mix the peanut butter in so that it’s mixed well.
One thought on “Peanut butter Oatmeal”
This is one of our favorite breakfasts! This is simple and yet filling and nutritious. Your oatmeal looks inviting!