Birthdays are always special. You feel excited for your close friends’ birthdays too- especially if you get to bake a cake for them.
Two of my close friends are celebrating their birthdays today! I baked a cake for my friend in Chennai and am sending my wishes to the one overseas. One of them worked with me for a long time, the other one was my room mate for a long time. They are both as close to me as one can get. So they will eat anything I cook or bake ;-)
So here is to Friendship- to birthdays – to cakes!
Recipe for a simple yellow cake.
Flour – 1 1/2 cups, sifted
Sugar – 1 cup
Butter – 1/2 cup (about 115 gms or 1 stick)
Eggs – 2, medium
Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Salt – a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease an 8″ round pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a big mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy(I use my hand mixer for this).
- Beat eggs separately. Add it to the butter-sugar mix and continue beating for a minute or two.
- Add the flour and milk alternatively and keep beating in low speed. Add vanilla essence.
- Pour into the greased pan, level it and bake for 25- 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a wooden skewer into the center of the cake. If it comes out dry or with a few crumbs, the cake is done. Else bake for 5 more minutes.
Ingredients for Butter cream Icing:
Butter – 3/4 cup (175 gms or 1 1/2 sticks)
Icing sugar – 2 1/4 cups
Milk – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Beat the butter in a big mixing bowl(I used my hand mixer).
- Slowly incorporate icing sugar until well blended.
- Add milk, if necessary and continue beating until pale and fluffy.
- Add a drop or two of the required food coloring and beat until well mixed.
How I did it:
- I made the cake the previous day and wrapped it in two layers of grease-proof paper(butter paper).
- Then I put it in a zip-lock cover and kept it in the freezer overnight.
- I made the butter cream icing the next day and decorated the frozen cake.
- I left the decorated cake to thaw itself out for about two hours.
- Sometimes the cake ‘sweats’ out. Its fine. This time, how ever, it didn’t.
- Icing over a frozen cake is easier and the cake turns out to be very moist.