Morning time means
- Wake up
- Make Break fast
- Feed Kiddo
- Help him get ready for school(Collective effort here)
- Pack snacks for kiddo, lunch for hubby
- Pack off kid and hubby
All this happen with in a time frame of 25-30 minutes. That is because I get up late, real late every morning. And you can guess why – all the posts here are posted after 1 AM.
So breakfasts have to be very simple and very fast. Aval Upma is one such simple dish.
1 cup Aval/Rice Flakes/Poha
1 medium size Onion, chopped fine
1 or 2, Green Chillies, chopped fine and sliced thin
1 or 2 tsp Lemon Juice, optional
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Urad Dal
A few Curry Leaves
2 tsp Oil
Salt, as required
Water, to soak the Aval
- Wash the Aval thoroughly. I used the thick variety and so soaked it in water for about 10 minutes. The thinner variety needn’t be soaked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add urad dal and the curry leaves.
- When the urad dal becomes brownish, add the onion and saute till it changes color.
- Squeeze out the Aval and add it to the pan.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Take off the heat, add lemon juice and serve.
You can always elaborate it with more veggies (peas or corn or carrots), but I just like it the simple way. This can be served as a quick snack too.
When soaking, if you use tamarind water (need to be soaked for a longer time – 20 to 30 min), then you have the tamarind aval upma. You shouldn’t add lemon juice in this case.