Blogging Marathon #122 Week 1, Day 2
Theme : A to Z, something sweet
A friend of mine made this honey cake and she sent us this link in case we were interested. And of course I was interested! I had one layer of left over cake in the freezer and I finally tried this recipe when we had a hurricane warning. The wind was howling and it was raining cats and dogs outside, but inside our house we were really lucky to munch on this yummy cake and have a relaxed evening. Thankfully the hurricane didn’t do a lot of damage in our area. I guess when so many things are out of our control, like weather or even the COVID situation, it helps that there is a little something that you can actually do to keep your mind healthy and happy.
This cake was very easy for me to put together since I already had a cake at home. But this can be made with a readymade cake as well. It is also not too much of a work to make a single layer of cake. I love honey and this cake has a lot of it, so it’s a favorite already. The next time I make it, I will make sure we have company so that we won’t eat an entire cake by ourselves :-D!
Read on for the recipe.
- One 8” Vanilla cake of your choice
- honey syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Desiccated coconut, to sprinkle on top
- Bake the cake. Set aside to cool.
- In a pan, add the water and sugar. Bring it a low boil, mixing with a spatula to ensure even distribution. Once the sugar is melted and it begins to boil, add the honey and mix it in. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the cake to a plate. Poke holes on the cake with a skewer or a fork. Slowly add the syrup evenly using a pastry brush. Let the cake absorb the syrup.
- Make the topping – heat the jam and the honey in a pan until the jam loosens and becomes spreadable. Turn off the heat and spread this to top of the cake. Sprinkle some desiccated coconut. Let the cake rest for a little bit and then cut into pieces and serve.