BM # 73: Week 4, Day 1
Theme : Ingredient swap
Recipe: Ragi puffs chivda
When I met Pavani,Usha and Mireille last month, we exchanged the ingredients for this week’s theme. I picked three ingredients but the funny fact was that I couldn’t guess any of it. Things looked familiar, but spotting them right away would have been impossible for me. If not for Mireille and Usha, I would have spent a lot of time sniffing and tasting and googling about those. :D. Anyway, thanks to my smarter friends, I was able to find out what was in each bag.
Last and final ingredient for the theme is Ragi puffs. If I am guessing right, these are meant to be eaten as such for a crunchy snack, the concept is same as rice puffs or pori/murmura. I used them in a chivda mix along with oats, rice flakes and cereal. The usual elements of chivda like peanuts and roasted gram are there to add to the crunchy taste.
Read on for the recipe.
This post goes to Blogging Marathon#73. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this month.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup rice flakes/poha
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- a good pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1/4 cup peanuts/ broken cashews
- 2 tablespoon pottu kadalai/roasted chana dal
- 1 green and red chilli each
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- salt as needed
- 1/2 cup ragi puffs
- 1/3 cup corn flakes or cereal of your choice – Special K, vanilla almond here
- In a heated pan, dry roast the oats first. Once its toasted, transfer it to a medium to big bowl. We will use the bowl for mixing everything together.
- Now, toast the rice puffs or rice flakes in the same pan. Once toasted, add it to the oats mix. Once the rice flakes are done, toast the ragi puffs next and add it to the bowl. Do not toast the cereal. It should be added directly to the chivda.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Tip in the green and red chillies and hing. Follow it up with peanuts and roasted chana. Keep an eye on the nuts and saute with a spoon to prevent it from burning. Add the turmeric powder and chilli powder along with salt as needed.
- Now add this mix to the big bowl with oats and poha and ragi puffs. Add the Special K cereal as well. Add two more tablespoons of oil to prevent it from drying out. Mix everything well carefully. Transfer to an airtight container.