Apple fritters were the last thing in my mind until I saw these in Vaishali’s blog. I wanted to try a batch immediately, but as it always happens, procrastination somehow found its way in.
When I did try, I knew I didn’t want to try the round and sliced apple fritters. I could almost see the fritters ending up with two separate layers : one would be the apple and the other would be the batter. Trust me, it’s happened before. So I tried one that seemed more appropriate for my modest deep-frying skills.
These fritters got over fast, but I found them lacking in sweetness. Since I skipped sprinkling with confectioners sugar or rolling in the cinnamon sugar part, I should have increased the sugar to at least 1/4 cup. So in case you have tart apples and want to use them up this way, adjust the sugar according to your taste preference.
In a big bowl, add 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and a pinch of salt. Whisk well. You can add a bit more sugar if you want it to be sweeter.
Add two lightly beaten eggs, half cup milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter or oil to the dry ingredients and combine well.
Add 2 cups peeled and chopped apples.
Mix well to combine.
Deep fry until golden brown in batches.
Drain in paper towel and sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar**
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil or melted butter
- 2 cups chopped apples
- oil to deep fry
- confectioners sugar for sprinkling
**Adjust sugar according to your preference.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a big bowl (flour, baking powder, sugar and salt).
- Add the lightly beaten eggs, milk and oil to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined well. You might have to add a tablespoon or two of milk if the batter is too dry.
- Now add the peeled and chopped apples and mix until everything is well and evenly combined.
- Heat oil to deep fry and add the apple batter in tablespoonfuls. Deep fry until golden in batches until the batter is used up.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve warm.