Blogging Marathon #125 Week 1, Day 3
Theme : Biryanis or Simple Pulaos
I am a big Instant Pot fan and use it every single day in my cooking. It’s a pressure cooker with a lot more safety and convenient features built into it. I was so happy when Pavani published her Instant pot cookbook. I already have the book and keep trying recipe after recipe from the book!
The cabbage mint Pulao is from her book and I have already made it a couple of times. It’s really easy to make, very tasty and you really don’t need any side dishes for it. Its a one pot meal perfect for weekday dinner!
Cabbage and mint that too with yogurt is not a combination I have ever come across before, but this recipe just works! Adjust the chilies according to your spice preference. I have more or less followed the original recipe as such except for changing the cooking program to Rice mode. I find that you can let the pressure release naturally without rice getting mushy using this program.
Read on for the recipe.
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 1” piece ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1-2 green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt as needed
- Wash and drain the rice. Soak it in 2 cups of water and set aside.
- In a blender, make a paste of ginger, garlic, mint, coriander powder and yogurt. Set aside.
- Select sauté in Instant pot. Add oil and once it’s hot add chopped onion. Cook for a minute or two until it’s pink in color. Add the ground mint paste and cook until it doesn’t smell raw anymore – another 2-3 minutes or so.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, rice along with the water and salt as needed. Mix everything ensuring there is nothing sticking to the bottom of the inner pot.
- Place the lid on and select the Rice program. Once it’s done, let the pressure release naturally. Serve with yogurt or raita.