BM #125: Week 1, Day 1
Theme :Biriyanis or Simple Pulao
There are times when we feel up to cooking up a storm and there are times when we want something quick and simple. This is a recipe for the quick and easy days.
Whenever I am cooking beans, I always cook a little extra since soaking and cooking time is same irrespective whether it’s one or two cups of beans. So I always cook a little extra and refrigerate it or freeze it for later use. I add it to rice dishes or Curries or salads for some extra protein.
When I have some leftover rice too, I make a simple Pulao like the one here and it’s a tasty meal without a lot of effort. It’s tasty on its own, but I serve with a simple raita or plain yogurt.
Read on for the recipe.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup cooked white/ red kidney beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped finely
- 2 green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the rice and cook with 1.5 cups of water and salt as needed for the rice. Set aside. You can use leftover rice too.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and sauté until softened and pink. Add tomatoes, green chilies and ginger garlic paste. Mix well and add all the spice powders and enough salt for the tomato base. Add in the cooked beans and cover and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Carefully add in the rice and mix it in. Turn off the heat once the flavors are mixed well and rice is heated through, 2-3 minutes or so.
- Serve with yogurt or a raita on the side.
2 thoughts on “Beans Pulao”
Totally agree that sometimes we need simple meals and this is a great option. I too soak and freeze the beans often for quick fix meals like this. I love the simple and satisfying flavors of this pulao.
I like the idea of stocking the beans in the freezer, it surely makes work easier. The ben rice is a quick fix if you have the beans ready and perfect protein rich one-pot meal.