Blogging Marathon #124 Week 3, Day 1
Theme : Kid’s Delight – Monsoon Delights
My son loves mixture and we always stock upon the readymade packets whenever I go to the Indian grocery store. Homemade mixture from scratch tastes excellent , but somehow I always feel it’s not worth the effort involved. I just feel there are too many vessels to wash at the end and too much cleaning involved. But the shortcut mixture like this one here, is quick to prepare and much more healthier than the usual deep fried version. It’s definitely not a replacement for the traditional mixture, but will do as a snack every now and then.
I don’t exactly follow a recipe, I just add a handful of whatever ingredients I have at home at that time to make this mixture. I usually add cashews, raisins and fried gram dal. I add peanuts and poha if I have it at home. You can add more of what you like and adjust it to your preference. You can even add coconut pieces or boondi to it. This would pair so well with a cup of ginger tea on a rainy evening!
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Fried gram dal
- Curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Red chili powder, as needed
- Hing, a good pinch
- Salt, as needed
- Heat oil in a pan. Add peanuts, cashews, fried gram dal, raisins, poha, curry leaves and sauté until it’s all roasted well. Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, hing and salt. Mix well.
- Add the corn flakes and sauté for a few minutes until its well roasted and turns crisp.
- Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed. Transfer to an airtight container once it’s cooled down.