Blogging Marathon #122 Week 2, Day 1
Theme : Dry side dishes
Cabbage is one of the first veggies I reach out for when I have a lot of guests coming for lunch. It’s easy to chop, easy to cook and you get a good quantity for a lot less work than other vegetables. Potatoes come next in my list. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks so, because some of my relatives have told me the same thing.
Cabbage can be prepared in many ways. I already have cabbage thoran and cabbage with moong dal on the blog. Carrot and cabbage is also common combination, so is cabbage and green peas. I had served this cabbage porial as part of the vathakuzhambu lunch I posted earlier.
Read on for the recipe.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 4-5 cups chopped cabbage, 1 small cabbage
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 3-4 green chilies, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and once it splutters add the urad dal. Once the dal turns golden brown, add the chopped cabbage.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, green chilies and green peas. Mix everything in with a spatula and cover and cook until the veggies are done. Keep stirring in between to prevent the cabbage from sticking to the bottom of the pan, sprinkling some water if needed.
- Once the cabbage is cooked, add the shredded coconut and mix it in. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed. Cook for a couple more minutes and take off the heat. Serve with rice and sambar of your choice.
7 thoughts on “Cabbage and Peas porial”
Yes, correct. The most common menu is sambar with cabbage poriyal when we have some guests. I love this combination of cabbage with peas and the entire meal platter looks so inviting.
This was the curry which ate growing up. These days I have moved on to newer versions. Thanks for reminding such a nostalgic version of cabbage curry.
I to reach out for cabbage when guests come over. Like you said simple and easy to cook. Loved the vegetable you made here with cabbage and peas.
Love the cabbage proial. We love this and make often in our home. Excellent recipe.
Such a simple recipe and yet the most delicious. My patti always made cabbage curry with peas and as a child I was not a fan of it. Now every time I add peas to cabbage, it reminds me of her.
I love cabbage in this form and in most forms too…this is surely one of the easiest method to make right..
I agree with you that it’s an easy to make vegetable and tasty too. At my place it is made in slightly different way but with coconut it must be tasting good. Could we use desiccated coconut?