Blogging Marathon #121 Week 2, Day 3
Theme : Thalis and spreads
I had prepared this entire meal from Pavani’s cookbook and today I am sharing the recipe for the egg curry from the thali. I make egg curry often but mine is the Kerala style coconut milk based version. So when I saw this curry in her book, I wanted to give it a try. The curry pairs well with rice too, but we had it with roti.
This is an easy curry to make, the difference for me was the usage of tomato purée. When I make tomato onion based egg curry, I just sauté it until tomatoes are mushy but the recipe called for tomato purée. I didn’t have readymade purée with me, so blended two big tomatoes to get one cup of purée and used that in the recipe. The texture of the curry when made with pureed tomatoes differ from when you make it with sautéed tomatoes. You get a little different texture and taste even if you start with the same ingredients, both versions (pureed and regular sautéed tomatoes) will be good.
The thali here has
- Egg curry
- Tomato Dal Tadka
- Beans saute
Read on for the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 cup tomato purée (2 big tomatoes)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large hard boiled eggs
- handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion, garlic and green chilies. Cook, stirring in between, until the onions are slightly browned around the edges.
- Add the tomato purée, all the spice powders and salt. Mix well, cover and let it cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Make a few slits on the eggs with a knife. Add 1/2 cup water to the curry and the eggs. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add in the coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
6 thoughts on “Egg curry lunch”
That’s a wholesome meal with great presentation.
Egg curry looks soo good Rajani, and that’s totally and delicious lunch platter.
Egg curry looks scrumptious rajani! A wholesome meal with nutritious sides! And i love that bowl you have served the curry, unusual shape, but cute!!
Egg curry is surely a star in this entire meal and looks perfectly made. Wholesome and very delicious lunch platter.
A complete meal for sure. The picture looks very colorful and inviting.
This looks like a great curry and the meal looks perfect and satisfying.