Blogging Marathon #120 Week 3, Day 2
Theme : A to Z series, Something sweet
Black Forest Cake, Indian style for the letter B. This is one cake I have made many times but never got around taking a good picture. I also follow so many different methods for this so there is no one single way of making this.
For the recipe here, I have gone with Hershey’s Perfectly chocolate cake recipe. The cake is delicate with this recipe, so you have to be extra careful here. I usually just level the cake and use it as such to avoid breaking the cake layers. So it’s a two layer cake and not four with this recipe.
I use bottled/tinned cherries in syrup for this. But I have used fresh cherries and even canned cherry cake filling too couple of times. I just go with whatever I can find at the time of making the cake.
A simple chocolate collar makes the cake look so much better looking and the design here is inspired from Gayathri’s Cook spot. You can check out her video on how to assemble the cake.
- Chocolate cake
- 14 oz Bottled/Canned cherries in syrup
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Chocolate lace collar
- I like to bake the cake a day ahead. I usually bake in the evening and cover it twice in cling wrap once it’s cooled and return it back to the same pan. This is one way to ensure that the cake has really cooled down when you start assembling/decorating.
- Hershey’s chocolate cake is very delicate so be extra careful when adding the syrup.
- Keep a few good cherries aside for decorating the cake.
- To assemble the cake, level the cakes. Attach the base layer to a cake board using some whipped cream. Sprinkle syrup from the canned cherries on the cake layer. Spread about one cup of frosting and top with some chopped cherries. I usually eyeball the amount of cherries here.
- Cover this with the second layer of cake. Again, sprinkle the cherry syrup. Do a crumb coat with whipped cream and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Apply whipped cream to cover the cake and decorate with cherries and chocolate shavings. A chocolate lace collar is a great way to make the cake look beautiful.