I don’t know why, but I don’t prepare many dishes with Chana dal as much as I prepare the other dals. You can even make sambar with Chana dal but I never do. It’s usually reserved just for making usili or vada curry or spice powder of some kind.
A friend of mind suggested bottle gourd (Lauki) with black eyed peas curry and I started swapping out Chana dal for black eyed peas soon after. I absolutely love this curry and make it every now and then now.
Read on for the recipe.
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 2-3 cups diced lauki/ bottle gourd
- 1 tablespoon oil / ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Handful of Chopped coriander leaves to sprinkle on top
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with the chopped bottle gourd and enough water for 6 whistles or until the dal is cooked. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add jeera, when it splutters add the onions. Sauté until it’s browned a bit.
- Add chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and the dry spices. Mix well and let it cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the cooked dal and lauki along with the water it’s cooked in. Add salt as needed and let it come to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and keep it covered until serving time.