BM #117 : Week 3, Day 2
Theme : Colorful Foods
During the peak corona times, I started stocking up on canned tomatoes. I always keep one or two canned tomatoes, but I had never bought a set of 12 before this. Thankfully i didn’t have to rely on those solely and once we all got adjusted to the new normal, regular grocery shopping resumed.
I had a lot of canned tomatoes with me and that’s when I started looking up soup recipes. Original recipe here uses tomatoes with a choice of substitution for canned tomatoes. I went that route to use up mine. I also looked for an instant pot/pressure cooker recipe so that I can just add everything into the pot and forget about it until it’s done. I served this with a sautéed mushroom sandwich for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or 1 kilo fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil or your choice of herbs
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot in Sauté mode. Add the butter (or oil) into the pot. Sauté onions and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add the carrots, tomatoes, basil or herbs of your choice, salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add 2 cups of water, pepper and change the mode to Manual. Cook for 8 minutes in Manual mode. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Using a hand blender, purée the soup. Change settings to sauté mode again and add honey and cream. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed. Turn off when it’s all well combined. Serve hot with croutons on top.
Linking this post to Kids Delight, event hosted by Vaishali this month.