BM #114 : Week 2, Day 2
Theme : Brighten Your Breakfast
I had completely forgotten about ebelskivers I used to make for my son’s lunchbox until I saw this picture in my photo archives. There was a point of time when I used to make these regularly, especially the ones filled with jam inside. The biggest plus is that it doesn’t need a side dish since it has jam inside, thus making it perfect for the lunch box.
I usually use pancake batter to make ebelskivers and in this particular instance, I remember that I was half way through making pancakes and suddenly decided to make some ebelskivers too.
The internet tells me that this Danish delicacy is served as a dessert or a snack or a breakfast snack or even a holiday treat, but at my place, this is mostly a breakfast treat. Usually a weekend brunch.
Instead of filling it with jam, you can add some Nutella or even some chocolate chips. That would ensure a chocolate treat for you :-).
Read on for the recipe. The batter is a pancake batter recipe from All Recipes.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Jam of your choice
- Butter/ghee for brushing the pan
- Mix the dry ingredients in a pan. Whisk well.
- Beat the egg well in another bowl, add the melted butter and the milk. Mix well. It’s important that the milk is at room temperature, else the butter will solidify.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, mix until smooth. The batter is ready.
- Heat an aebelskiver pan or paniyaram pan. Once the pan is hot, add a little butter/ghee into each of the “wells” in the pan.
- Using a tablespoon, carefully add the batter into each mold, filling it half way through. Add a spoon of jam on top of the batter and fill it rest of the way with the batter.
- Wait for the bottom to cook completely, slowly using two spoons or forks or skewers, flip it so that the top can cook as well.
- Remove from pan and repeat with the rest of the batter.