BM #106 : Week 3, Day 3
Theme : Baked Dishes
This is yet another recipe from the Hershey’s Recipe collection book. I make brownies every now and then, but have stayed away from layered bars. I always assumed those were more time consuming. So two weeks back, when I was making sweets to celebrate my nephew’s birth, I decided to try a new recipe and I am glad I did.
The recipe involves making crust by cutting in butter. A portion of this mix is reserved for the streusel top by adding some chopped nuts and chocolate chips. The middle layer is condensed milk microwaved with chocolate chips until its a smooth mixture. Its not a time consuming recipe. I am planning to try more of layered bar recipes in the future.
Read on for the recipe.
Recipe source: Hershey’s Recipe Collection
Makes 3 dozen bars
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup/ 1 stick /113 gms cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup roughly chopped mixed nuts
- Heat oven to 350 F/180 C. Grease a 13′ X 9″ baking pan. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa. Add the sugar. Cut in the butter and rub it into the flour mix with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of this mixture.
- Press the rest of the mix onto the prepared pan. It will be a thin layer. Bake for ten minutes.
- When the crust is baking, add the condensed milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 50% Power for a minute or so, until the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour this over the crust when its done baking.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips and mixed nuts to the reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle this over the condensed milk layer.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cool completely in pan. Cut into bars using a sharp knife.
7 thoughts on “Chocolate Streusel Bars”
I like Hershey recipes, at least the few I tried. Streusel bars look so good. I bake brownies on and off but I too never tried layered bars. Will try this soon.
These bars look so good. That Hershey book must be one fantastic cookbook.
This looks to be perfect party treat and looks absolutely scrumptious. Drooling over the pictures
OMG! they look very addictive, Rajani.
Those bars are going to be addictive Rajani, will try them soon.
Wow, that is definitely an interesting recipe. Never thought of making bars with chocolate. The streusel on top sounds delicious. Will add to my holiday baking.