For Day 3, it’s a very simple pasta salad. All it has is olive oil and some dried herbs. It’s my friend’s recipe and she has made it for us a couple of times. Shreyas really loves it. So I thought of blogging it here, that way I won’t forget about it later!
My friend uses dried Italian seasoning, but I have used a mix of various dried herbs. I mostly have oregano and basil, so many times that’s what I use. I add a good dose of freshly ground pepper when making this. I also add more vegetables– chopped tomatoes, zucchini and thawed corn are the usuals. But here I have done it that way my friend does with just broccoli.
To cook broccoli, you can toss it to the pasta pot when pasta is cooking. I usually add it at the last five minutes. This avoids overcooking. The broccoli floats on top, so it’s easy to take it out. I cook the whole pack of pasta and refrigerate it once cool. That way it’s easy for me to pack pasta for my son’s lunch with different sauces.
Read on for the recipe.
- 1.5 cups cooked pasta
- 1/2 cup cooked broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar,optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice/vinegar if using and the seasonings.
- Toss in the pasta and broccoli florets. Mix everything and taste test to adjust seasonings.
- You can add more vegetables of your choice to the salad.
- The flavor is Better if the salad rests for an hour or two.