BM #105: Week 2, Day 1
Theme : One country, One category
For this week’s theme, I have chosen three dessert recipes from USA. I am beginning the series with a Nutella cake. The recipe is from the book Erin Bakes Cake, which I borrowed from the library. It’s one of the best baking books I have come across. The book gives base recipes for cakes, but with numerous options to try different flavors. The recipe I am sharing is a base recipe for any “butter” cake (Nut based butter). The version here is for Nutella, but say if you want a peanut butter cake, make the substitution. You will also need to increase the sugar by one more cup as Nutella has sugar and peanut butter doesn’t.
I had made this cake last summer for a friend’s birthday. Between the cake and the frosting, there is some serious amount of Nutella here :-). The flavor was amazing and I decided to go for a very simple decoration with a chocolate drip and some cherries on top.
Read on for the recipe.
Recipe source: Erin Bakes Cake
Makes two 8″x3″ cakes
- 1.5 cups butter (~340 gms) , at room temp
- 1.5 cups Nutella
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- Pre Heat oven to 350F/ 180C. Grease and line two 8″ x 3″ pans.
- Beat the butter, Nutella, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Beat until it’s a smooth and fluffy mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl in between to make sure everything mixes well.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat it in.
- Stop the mixer and add the flour in. Fold the flour in, using a rubber spatula. This prevents the flour from going all over the place.
- Divide the batter between the two greased pans. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, the cake is done when a skewer inserted to the middle comes free of crumbs.
- Take off the oven, let it rest in the pan for ten minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once the cake is completely cooled down, prepare the frosting and decorate the cake as you wish.
For the Nutella buttercream,
- Beat 4 sticks (16oz/450gms) softened butter and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes in a stand mixer bowl.
- Turn off the mixer, Add 7 1/2 cups (2 lbs bag) powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and 2-4 tablespoons milk. Mix it in with a spatula to prevent sugar flying all over the kitchen.
- Switch the mixer ON at the lowest setting and beat it until it reaches a creamy consistency. To make Nutella buttercream, add 3/4 cup chilled Nutella. Beat it in until creamy. Makes about 6 cups of frosting.
Sending this entry to Kid’s Delight – Anniversary party.