BM# 103: Week 2, Day 2
Theme : Recreate into a new dish
I had picked up a bunch each of basil, mint and coriander when I did grocery shopping last month. I made pesto with basil leaves and then made another pesto with the coriander and mint leaves with almonds. Since there was so much pesto, I was looking at ways to use it up beyond pesto pasta and sandwiches. Pesto rice came to my mind and it sounded like a good idea.
Since the base for my pesto was already coriander, I decided to make it similar to the coriander pulao I usually prepare. I still have some pesto leftover, I think I will be making this pulao again. This pairs well with plain yogurt and chips.
Read on for the recipe.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced into thin pieces
- 2 carrots, diced into 1/2″ pieces
- 8-10 beans, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup diced capsicum
- 1/3 cup mint coriander pesto
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1″ ginger piece
- Wash and soak the rice in 3 cups of water. Set aside.
- In a blender jar, blend everything under the “to grind” list to a smooth paste. You might have to add a tablespoon or two of water to help with grinding. Set aside.
- In the Instant Pot, turn the Sauté function on. Add ghee or oil and once it’s hot, add the onions and all the other vegetables. Sauté and cook under the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add the ground pesto coconut paste and cook over low heat for about a minute.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pot. Sauté for a minute. Add three cups of water and salt as needed. Cancel the Sauté function and change it to Manual function. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Serve it hot with an onion Raita or plain yogurt on the side.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this Week
3 thoughts on “Coriander Pesto Pulao”
Biryani looks so tempting and delicious. would love to have them anytime
Hahhaa..this is surely a classic recreation Rajani, very nicely done!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Such a delightful idea to make a rice with pesto. I haven’t tried that. Looks so tasty ! Yum!!
LikeLiked by 1 person