BMN # 83: Week 1, Day 1
Theme : Soups and Stews
There are some books that you always reach out for when looking for an idea for a meal. One of my favorite books to browse is The Perfect recipe for losing weight and eating right. The main reason I like the book is that flavor variations that each recipe gives. Like for soups, there is this basic recipe that you follow. But if you change the ingredients every time – be it the choice of vegetables, starch or seasonings, you end up with a different flavor each time you serve it. So same basic recipe which starts with sauteed onions and a tomato & broth combination, ends up being different every time. The author has named the soup section as Meal in a bowl Soups. And I have used the same for this post title. You cannot explain the concept better I guess!
This time I decided to go with a clear soup with whatever veggies were left in my fridge. So you have a zucchini,fennel, celery soup. I wanted it to be light, so I was debating whether to add the beans or not. I ended up adding it finally to my bowl and then heating it up again. I served the soup with an egg on top. That yellow color perks me up on a cold day.
Read on for the recipe.
The recipe makes 4-5 servings
- 4 cups veg broth or water
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 5-6 tomatoes roughly pureed
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano/basil
- 1/2 kilo (1 lb) vegetables of your choice*
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce like Tabasco or Sriracha
- 1 sunny side egg, optional
- salt, pepper and pepper flakes as needed
*I have used a mix of sliced celery, zucchini and fennel.
- Bring broth or water and the tomatoes to a boil. Turn off the heat.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute onions until it turns brown. Add beans and washed rice. Pour the tomato broth mix and bring to a simmer. Add the dried basil or oregano and salt and pepper as needed. Let the vegetables cook in a slow simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables and the rice is completely cooked through. Taste test and adjust the seasonings
- Turn off the heat and stir in some hot sauce if preferred. Let the soup sit for five minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve with a sunny side egg on top if preferred.
Note: I added the beans only at the time of serving as I didn’t add them when the soup was cooking.
This recipe goes to this week’s Cooking from Cook Book Challenge. Please follow the link to know more about the event.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#83
11 thoughts on “Meal in a bowl Soup”
That bowl of warm soup sounds perfect for the weather we are having right now.
Such a hearty and delicious meal in a bowl.
Love meal in a bowl as they are healthier. Great option for weekday lunch :)
My little one and I are soup persons in our house and we can literally live on soups.This is a lovely concept for us :)
Tempting visuals there!
Meal in a bowl soup looks absolutely catchy and very colourful. Such a hearty soup there.
That looks so filling, colorful and tempting.
Wow, that definitely looks like a meal in the bowl. So hearty, filling and delicious.
Indeed it is colourful. Such a hearty and warm meal, perfect for this cold season.
Meal in a bowl is the new concept and very much in . I like the way you have presented this soup bowl . The egg is the show stopper :))
Such a beautiful looking meal. Healthy and hearty too..
Awesome Rajani, the bowl looks so inviting and the whole concept is fantastic…though I know I can make a meal out of a soup and get the husband enjoy it, I somehow always push this thought of soup behind..I have to get the right notion to make soups .infact I dug up some books as well!..lets see..