We have come to the end of a month long blogging marathon and this is the last recipe of the day. It’s adapted a little from All recipes site.
The recipe is very simple – cook the mushrooms and onions, make a roux with flour and milk, and cook everything together. Usually cream is used for this recipe, but I decided to go lighter and used milk instead. I also didn’t want a really thick soup, so decreased the amount of flour a bit and increased the liquids. I usually add cooked white beans or black beans to my soups to up the filling factor. Here it would have helped with increasing the protein also, but I had to skip it since I didn’t have any that day.
Read on for the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped white mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoon butter in a pan. Sauté onions until it’s a little pink. Add the mushrooms and cook until it changes color.
- Add one cup of vegetable broth or water and let the mushrooms cook completely. Take off the heat and once cool, purée in a blender, keeping a little aside for adding on top at the time of serving.
- Heat the rest of the butter in a pan. Add the flour and mix it for a few seconds. Add the milk, seasonings and the puréed mushroom mix. Cook everything stirring frequently to avoid lumps. Add one cup of water or broth (or more) if the soup is too thick.
- Take off the heat and serve with a piece of bread.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80
9 thoughts on “Creamy mushroom soup”
What a creamy look it has. Absolutely stunning. Loved all your recipes in this series.
The soup captures you instantly and the toast by the side is the perfect way to serve it .
Enjoyed all your recipes and the reads this month !
Wow.. soup looks so creamy and healthy… amazing clicks.
Love these creamy soups. My all time favorite. I can lick that bowl clean. Great share Rajani.
So creamy and sinful. Perfect for a cold winter with some garlic breads..
The mushroom soup looks so creamy and hearty. It looks perfect for this weather.
Generally, I do not like mushroom soup because the colour put me off. I loved this soup here as I like the colour and since I eat with my eyes that is very important for me. Love the soup Rajani. As for the series, it was fantastic with you alongside.
This fantastic creamy mushroom soup will definitely please my tastebuds, such a comforting and hearty soup.
Wow, that’s quite creamy Rajani, great job on completing the edition without difficulty..enjoyed reading your snippets and dishes!