Evenings are the time when life calls for something savory to eat with a hot cup of tea. These slightly spiced peppery cheesy potato cheeslings fit the bill perfectly.
The recipe is from Vasantha Moorthy’s Vegetarian Menu cookbook. The biscuits- or potato cheeslings as the book called these, were crisp when it came right out of the oven. However, a little while later, it went soft. I had to reheat them on the stovetop to get them to be crispy again. So I would suggest baking only on a need basis. The book suggested cutting the dough into small rectangular strips for baking, but I used a round cookie cutter.
Read on for the recipe.
- 1 large potato, boiled
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vanaspati/ solid ghee/ softened butter/ coconut oil*
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- Salt and pepper
* I used coconut oil which had turned solid because of the cold weather.
- Cook and peel the potato and drain off all the water.
- Mash the potatoes, mix with all the other ingredients and knead everything into a dough. Taste test and adjust the seasonings.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes and divide it into two parts. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/4″ thick. You can either cut out strips of size 2″X 1″ or use a cookie cutter and cut out some other shape.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the top turns brown.
Note: I noticed that the biscuits turn soft a little while after it’s taken out of the oven. So bake in small batches as needed. I have a feeling this would be a good candidate for deep frying as well.
This goes to Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.