BM # 73: Week 1, Day 3
Theme : Mini baked treats
Recipe: ricotta lemon mini cupcakes
When I am at the supermarket, my impulse wins over my common sense. I almost always buy things that I don’t need and then I would spend time and effort to finish up things I didn’t need in the first place. One of the regular culprits is Ricotta cheese. I just can’t resist it. The soft cheese always seem to be calling me when I pass that aisle.
After making a batch of instant rabdi using it, I still had some left over cheese that needed to be used up. A Google search led me to this recipe for soft, Madeline like cookies at Food.com. I didn’t realize that these cookies would have cake like texture when I started baking them. I should have guessed it when I made the batter itself since it was just like cake batter. After a couple of batch of making cookies, I used the same batter for making a batch of mini cupcakes.
I liked the cupcakes better because some of the cookies stuck to each other when stored inside a container. It wasn’t bad, but cupcakes with their wrappers has its own charm.
I liked these cookies for their lightness and lemony taste. Each cookie felt like a mini cake. This may not be my go to ricotta bake recipe, but still it deserves a mention in the blog for tempting me day after day until it all got over!
Recipe source: Food.com
Makes about 50 small cookies/ mini cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- one pinch salt
- 1 stick butter (113 gms) at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 container ricotta cheese (15oz)
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar until its light and fluffy using a hand or a stand mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat it in. Add the ricotta cheese next and beat using the mixer. Follow the cheese with lemon juice, extract and zest.
- Bring the mixer to low speed and fold in the flour mix carefully. You can use a spatula as well to do this. The batter will be similar to that of cakes than cookies.
- Take 1 tablespoon of batter and bake for about 15 -20 minutes as mini cupcakes or cookies in a lined baking pan. Remove from the oven and let the cookies or cupcakes sit undisturbed in the pan for ten minutes at least before moving them to a cooling rack.