BM # 70
Week 4, Day 3
Theme : Thali
My plan for the thali week of blogging marathon was to pick three thali meals from Saravana Bhavan, a leading South Indian restaurant. I prepared this quick lunch meal from their menu. But somehow I had to let it go of the idea and use posts already in my drafts.
Saravana Bhavan has 4 kind of lunch thalis – South Indian meals, North Indian meals, Mini tiffin meals and Quick lunch meals. I have tried to recreate their quick lunch meals. The menu shows the platter has sambar rice, variety rice of the day, curd rice, a porial (vegetable preparation), sweet, pickle and papad.
Looking at the plate, I wish I had the big steel plate with compartments for each of the dishes. That would have made the meal a lot more impressive and a lot like how they serve at the restaurant. Just like in the menu, the meal has
- Sambar rice
- Kadamba rice using ready made paste
- Curd rice
- Peas carrot beans porial (recipe below)
- Semiya Kesari
This post goes to Blogging Marathon# 70 . Check out this page to see posts from other participating bloggers.
- 2 carrots, cut into circles
- 1 cup chopped beans
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoon grated coconut
- 2 green chillies or 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and 4-5 curry leaves (if you have it). Once the mustard seeds pop, add the vegetables and slit green chillies. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle a handful of water and cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring in between to prevent the vegetables from sticking at the bottom.
- Add salt and grated coconut. Mix everything to combine well. Taste test, adjust spices if needed. Serve with sambar rice.
3 thoughts on “Quick meals Saravana Bhavan”
Another comforting and delicious looking thali Rajani. Everything looks so yummy!!
Omg, this quick meal thali makes me hungry even after having my dinner, wat a spread there.