When I picked up checkerboard pattern for this week’s BM theme, I knew I wanted to try really simple recipes and not complicated ones. This salad was my first trial with the theme. Since it was the first time I was making it, I didn’t realize the importance of cutting the vegetables with precision. The salad was good and I still have some beet to finish off, so I might give this recipe another try to close off the gaps and give it a better look. Lets see!
My favorite salad dressing is mayo + yogurt with salt and pepper for seasoning. Its my close friend’s favorite recipe, so ended up being my favorite too :-). This time I decided to flavor it with some basil (been ‘gardening’ a bit, so lots of basil at home) and up the spice level a bit with paprika. That paired well as the mild sweetness from the veggies complimented the sour and slice spice of the dressing. Like I said, I might be trying this recipe again soon.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what other bloggers have cooked up for BM #66.
For the salad (serves 2 as a side)
- 1 small beetroot
- 1 medium potato
- 1/2 sweet potato
- few florets of roasted broccoli, optional
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- a handful of basil, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika/chili powder
- pepper and salt as needed
- Prepare the dressing by mixing everything together well. Refrigerate till time to serve.
- Peel and cook the root vegetables with salt separately until firm. Don’t overcook them as they wont hold their shape when cutting. The color from beets will bleed into the other two if you cook everything in the same pan, so cook them separately.
- Once the veggies are cooked and cooled completely, cut them into squares of equal size and refrigerate.
- At the time of serving, arrange half the prepared dressing on a plate. You may not end up using all the salad dressing. Arrange the veggies alternatively to form a checkerboard pattern. Enjoy!
This post goes to Kid’s Delight event, Valli’s brain child and hosted this month by Archana.
12 thoughts on “Beet salad with basil mayo”
Looks yum Rajani
What a colorful and inviting salad Rajani. Looks soooo amazing.
loved the limegreen background wooden board a lot :) the salad looks yummy !
Simply cute and very attractive, love that checkerboard pattern in salad.
Wow that is a unique salad for a checkerboard theme! And the green background is so beautiful :)
very good checkerboard idea. loved it…
cutting vegetables with precision, let me about it. oh yeah add rolling out round chapatis. I am not good at both.. ;-) ;-) This is an awesome checkerboard idea. love it.
Awesome salad, looks colorful and delicious
Wow!! It looks amazing… Beautifully colored
Yea one of my ideas was to have some of this or some sandwiches…I even went to think of bread rolls..all high plans, nothing worked out..lol..your salad colourful and the uneven cuts also add to the beauty I feel..:)
The salad looks interesting..good choice I must say.Agree with what you say about precision cutting, but it looks fine yaar.