Let me stop you right there. I didn’t make this spread. My mother in law did.
This spread was made for our friends who visited us when my in laws were here in US. My contribution was minimal. In fact, I don’t think my role went beyond clicking this.
The highlight of the meal was the sweet. Amma had made 7 cup cake, a melt in the mouth burfi whose ingredients add up to 7 cups. It came out perfect.
I have taken stepwise pictures when she was making it,so its going to be a separate post. You can check out the post for 7 cupcake with step wise pictures here.
The gulab jamun was brought in by one of the visiting families. It was equally delicious. But then, dessert always taste good, doesn’t it?
Most of the recipes here are typical everyday food, but when prepared together they become a wonderful feast. Scroll down to see more pictures and recipe links!
BM 61, Week 1
Theme: Meal Ideas
On the plate:
- Rice with ghee
- Cabbage Porial/thoran
- Potato fry
- 7 cup cake
- Lemon rice (recipe below)
- gulab jamun
Serves 1 as a main meal
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Juice from one lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- a good pinch of hing
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 tablespoon peanuts or cashew nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Cook rice, set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the hing, urad dal and peanuts.
- When the dal turns golden brown, add the turmeric powder. Give a good stir and take off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice and salt as required. Mix well and add the cooked rice.
- Taste test and adjust salt or add more lemon juice if needed. Serve with papad.