Its winter here. How can I use cold mango puree? Out it came from the fridge and sat on counter top waiting patiently to come to room temperature.
It’s very cold here. How can I use ice-cold milk? The milk joined the mango puree on the counter.
Now, lets blend it all together. Blend, blend, blend.
Get chopping with the nuts. Chop. chop, chop.
Pour in a tall glass, one for me and one for you.
Its freezing here. How can I top the milkshake with ice cream?
Lets bring out the sweater and wear it and eat it, for I am not going to say No to ice cream!
Slurp, slurp, slurp
Now that I have come back from heaven, let me tell you a bit about mastani. Mastani is a thick milkshake topped with ice cream and decorated with dried fruits and nuts. Apparently its popular in Pune and any kind of fruit can be used to make one. Mango mastani seems to be a popular choice going by the internet.
Recipe source: Flavors of Mumbai
BM Theme: Regional (Maharashtra)
For one portion:
- 1/2 cup mango puree*
- 1/4 cup milk*
- 1 teaspoon sugar or per taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped nuts (pistachios, cashew nuts)
- 1 teaspoon tutti frutti
- spoon ful of chopped mango pieces (I didn’t have any)
- Cherries for decoration
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
*These are not strict measures. Adjust according your preference.
- Blend mango puree, milk and sugar. Taste and adjust sugar per taste.
- Pour into a tall glass and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle the nuts and tutti frutti. Decorate with mango pieces and chopped cherries, if using.