There are times when you feel like preparing an elaborate meal and then there are times when you feel like just putting everything in a pot and getting over with it. This recipe falls in the latter category. You still need to prep the base vegetables – but once that’s done, the job is almost over. A simple raita or plain yogurt is all that’s needed on the side and the rest of the evening is free to do whatever you want.
Soak one cup rice for at least half and hour and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil/ghee/butter in a pan and saute one big chopped onion.
Add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and cook until its done.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes and cook until its mashed.
Tip in one chopped capsicum. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilli powder and 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala.
Add the rest of the vegetables and cook further until its all mixed well. I used 1.5 cups thawed frozen mixed vegetables.
Add 2 cups water, salt and the soaked rice. Check the seasonings and adjust if you have to.
Cook until the rice is done and serve with raita.
Recipe adapted from: Veg recipes of India
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 big tomatoes, chopped
- 1 capsicum chopped
- 1.5 cups mixed vegetables
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- oil/butter or ghee
- Wash well and soak the rice for half an hour at least.
- In a wide pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee, butter or oil.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until pink. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 20 seconds.
- Now its time to add the chopped tomatoes and cook until its mashed up.
- Add the chopped capsicum and saute for a few more minutes and then add the spices (turmeric powder, chilli powder and pav bhaji masala). Mix well and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and mix well.
- Pour 2 cups water and salt. Check and adjust the seasonings. Add the soaked rice.
- Cook until the water is absorbed into the rice and its cooked well.
- Take off the heat and serve with a cup of raita.
4 thoughts on “Tawa pulao”
Awesome. My wife made this over the weekend (minus the onion :)).. Taste awesome.. BTW the cake was amazing…
A very colorful and yummy looking tawa pulao.