The thing about me is that I have a bad memory. I had given up making caramel long time back. But thanks to my poor memory, I ended up trying it again. (Why do you think I started the blog? Its for me to read about the forgotten stuff!)
The good thing was that I didn’t burn the caramel like before. I just under-did it. I hurried and took it out before the sugar turned amber in color. Final result was like caramel looking like condensed milk. No, I didn’t take a picture. I fully intent to forget about it as soon as possible.
Another plus was that the cake turned out fine. In fact, it turned out good. I wont say its all that different from a banana bread. But I was amazed at the caramel swirls on the cake. Don’t you think that it looks stunning?
We had a family coming for dinner and I made this as a dessert. But they got eaten as an appetizer, snack, main course and dessert (did I mention that there were 3 kids including mine?). As with all banana cakes, the flavor was much better the next day.
I served these plain, but the original recipe had a caramel rich frosting as well. Browse down for a step-wise pictorial and the recipe.
Beat 150gm butter with 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar till fluffy.
Beat in three eggs, one at a time until its smooth and silky.
Smooth and silky. Now time to add the flour mix in batches.
Mix 1.5 cups milk, 1.5 cups mashed bananas and 2 tsp vanilla essence in a separate bowl.
Add the flour mix (3 cups flour whisked well with 1.5 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt) in batches to the egg-butter mix, alternating with the milk-banana mix. Mix carefully after each addition taking care not to over beat.
Divide the batter into two 9″ pans.
Swirl 1/2 cup caramel sauce on top.
Bake until done, about 40-50 minutes.
Recipe source: The kitchn
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup(~150 gms) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (4-5 large bananas mashed)
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- Prepare the caramel sauce. Keep aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease and line two 9″ pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour with salt and baking soda and keep aside.
- Mix the milk, mashed banana and vanilla in a separate bowl. Whisk well and keep aside.
- Cream the softened butter with the two sugars until light and fluffy using a hand/stand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat it in.
- Add the flour mix in three batches, alternating with the milk-banana mix. Combine until its smooth.
- Divide the batter into the two prepared pans. Swirl 1/2 cup caramel into each pan to form patterns.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes free of crumb when inserted in the middle of the cake.