Some time back, when the tests showed that the man had high blood pressure, he was put on tablets. On prodding a bit more, we found that cholesterol was also on borderline. That report literally crushed out his midnight fried item snacking.
Less fried food and less salt was what the doctor advised. Lot more advise flowed from me and his mom.
The man bore them all and followed every single diet restriction. No pickles, no pappads, no deep-fried stuff and so many more ‘no’s’.
Now the BP is normal and so is the cholesterol level. Normal diet is advised for him, may be with a little less salt. But the pickles, they are still under ration from me.
The sunny side on the whole thing is that the pickles at home are all for me. My MIL’s awesome avakka manga, lemon pickle and even this gooseberry pickle were all for me. Just for me.
Follow the recipe to make these easy pickle and serve it with curd rice. If your man has BP, sympathize with him and take a double serving for yourself :D.
Recipe Source: Kothiyavunu
- Gooseberries/nellika/amla : about 20, medium size
- Sesame Oil (nallenna) : 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Chilli powder : 3 tbsp (or per your taste)
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Hing : 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek powder : 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook the goose berries for one whistle. You can try steaming as well. Retain the water in which its cooked.
- Once the pressure drops and the amla is cool enough to handle, take one at a time and slightly press to take out the seed. The amla will break into smaller pieces and the seed will come out on it’s own. Keep aside.
- In a big pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and once it crackles, add the spice powders.
- Add salt and the gooseberry pieces, mix well. Add a little of the reserved water and boil on low heat till thick.
- Take off the heat and store in air tight jars. Enjoy with curd rice.
2 thoughts on “Nellikka Achaar- Gooseberry Pickle”
Aw Rajani! My man does not like pickles but my girls live in them. Will appreciate some method to save them for just me….