This is one of the oft repeated recipe at my place.
Now, this a marbled style cookie, made with the same dough. I over mixed the dough and the marbled effect is not very visible in the final cookies. The next time, I won’t be so over enthusiastic about the mixing :-)
Recipe Source: The Essential Baking Book
Makes : 4 dozen plus
- Butter : 180g
- Sugar : 1 cup (granulated)
- All purpose flour : 2 1/4
- Baking powder : 1 tsp
- Cocoa : 1 tbsp
- Egg : 1
- Vanilla Extract : 1 tsp
- Instant coffee granules : 2 tsp
- Cream butter and sugar with a hand mixer till its light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence and egg. Butter should be at room temp., if its not you can microwave it at 10 sec intervals @ 40 % power. Don’t do this at full power, the butter will melt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Tip this dry ingredients into the butter mix and using a wooden spatula, mix until everything comes together and forms a soft dough.Knead and make a soft dough (don’t handle it too much, though).
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Add 1 tbsp cocoa powder to one portion. Add two teaspoon of instant coffee mix to the other portion.
- Knead the cocoa into the dough so that its spread uniformly and you have a brown color dough. Knead in the coffee powder to the other.
- I refrigerate it for 10 minutes so that they are easy to handle.
- Now slowly mix the both, don’t mix too much or else the marble effect will be lost (like mine!).
- Form a roll by slowly moving it back and forth in the counter. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 10 – 15 minutes.
- The dough can be made ahead and frozen once you make the logs.
This cake also goes to