I said I send fruit as snacks for my son – I didn’t say he finishes it off everyday. On the days the snack comes back half full, I present them as fruit pancakes the next day.
Luckily for me, he has been quite a good kid snack-wise for a while now. So the apple pancakes will just have to wait.
Let’s turn our attention to this vegetarian omelette, which is also a good mess less lunch box choice. It makes a great quick fix evening snack/tiffin as well. The best part of this recipe is that it was sitting in the drafts folder, waiting to be used straight away!
Recipe Source: Veg Recipes of India
- Gram flour/besan : 1 cup
- Onion : 1 small, chopped finely
- Tomato : 1 small, chopped finely
- Green Chillies : 1, sliced into thin rounds (optional)
- Ginger : 1/2″, chopped fine
- Coriander leaves : a handful, chopped finely
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- a pinch of garam masala
- Oil for making the omelette
- Water : approx. 1.5 – 2 cups
- Clean and chop the onion, tomatoes, chilles and coriander leaves.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the besan. Tip in the salt, garam masala and turmeric powder. Add water and mix until you get a lump free batter. The consistency will be neither too thick nor too thin.
- Heat a tawa and add a tsp of oil. Pour the batter like you would make a dosa/pancake. Add a spoon of oil around the omelette.
- Wait for the top side to cook (the batter will become dry and the bottom will start to brown) and flip over and cook the other bottom.
- I served this stuffed between two slices of bread with a bit of mayonnaise, but this omelette tastes good on its own as well.
This recipe is linked to Blogging Marathon #34 under mess free lunch box theme. Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see the other participants and their entries.
The post also goes to Mireille’s Taste of Tropics – Chillies.
7 thoughts on “Vegetable Omelette”
This looks delicious! lovely idea for lunch :) Bookmarking this…
Good one..I always find dosas with besan are life savers in the morning rush!
Yummy looking veggie omelette. Will try this for my super picky six year old.
👍 will try soon ! Looks good for an eve snack…
love your version of eggless omelette
Very beautiful pictures Rajani..and to imagine you had this already!..wow..:)..enjoyed your series on this theme…