Day two of Blogging Marathon 24 and we dine at Balaji Bhavan today. I choose one dish each from their Rice/Noodles section (easy peasy Jeera Pulao), Tandoori Kadai (Side dish- Green Peas Masala) section, Fruit extracts (Lemon Juice & ready made pomegranite juice) and Any timers (Chapati, no kurma – though!).
Now, isn’t this is a hearty meal?
Check out the other marathoners here in Blogging Marathon page.
Makes : 2 servings
- Basmati rice : 1 cup
- Ghee : 2 tsp
- Jeera : 2 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 15-20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the jeera seeds. Once it cracks, add the rice, saute for a couple of minutes. Take off the heat.
- I usually cook this in a rice cooker. So at this stage, I move the rice to the rice cooker, add salt, two cups of water and cook until done. This can be pressure cooked too, for two whistles.
Recipe Source: Peas Masala
- Green Peas : 2 cups(Fresh,Frozen or Dry, but cooked or thawed)
- Onion : 2, chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 teaspoons
- Coriander Powder : 1 tablespoon
- Chili Powder : 1 teaspoon
- Tomato : 2 chopped
- Coconut milk : 1 cup
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the ginger garlic paste, red chilies- cook for a minute more. Add tomatoes, cook till they are mushy. Add coriander powder, chili powder and turmeric powder. You can add a tsp or two of water, to prevent the masalas from burning. Take off the heat, cool and grind. Keep aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. This step is optional. Once mustard crackles, add a cup of water and add the peas. You can add more water later, if needed. Add the ground onion masala, salt and bring everything to a boil. Add the coconut milk finally, and bring again to a boil. Check seasonings and adjust, if required. Serve hot with chapati or jeera rice. Tastes even better the next day!
Note : Sometimes I think instead of adding coconut milk, roasting 2-3 tablespoon of coconut separately and grinding it together with the onion mix will suit this curry better. Should give it a try sometime!