There was no power inside the house and the wind was howling outside. It was tug of war with the door, as it was not opening because of the wind pressure.
We had power back up, so things weren’t that bad.
A minute outside showed me how forceful the wind was. It was like walking through a storm (which was what it was!). I had to almost abandon my visit to the temporary shopping mall and manage with what we had at home.
Luckily, except for a couple of fallen roofs, there wasn’t much damage here and by night, things were back to normal.
Another reminder that we are nothing in front of Mother Nature!
- Recipe Source: Rummana’s Kitchen
- Serves : 2-3
- Ready in : 45 min
- One pot meal
- Rice : 1 cup
- Moong dal : 1/2 cup
- Mixed Vegetables : 1 cup ( potatoes, carrots, peas and beans)
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tsp
- Green chilies : 2-3
- Bay leaf : 1, optional
- Onion : 1 small, optional
- Cumin : 1 tsp
- Ghee : 2 tbsp, or per taste
- Wash and clean the dal and rice separately and let it drain while you prepare the vegetables. Heat a kadai and roast the dal for a minute (optional step, after the dal is dry).
- Clean the vegetables and dice them into even sized pieces. Mix the rice, dal, veggies together in a 5L pressure cooker. Add the turmeric powder, chilies, ginger garlic paste and bayleaf. Add 4.5 cups of water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whisles or until rice is cooked. Take off the heat.
- Chop the onion and keep aside. In a small kadai, add a spoon of ghee. Add cumins and chopped onions. Once the pressure falls, add this onion tempering to the khichdi and mix well. Dot with ghee and serve with Aloo Bhaja/Begun bhaja.
This recipe is off to :
- Susan’s MLLA, hosted this month by Simone of Briciole
- Swati’s Favorite Recipes, hosted by Amrita of Sweet n Savory