It was casual meeting with some of my husband’s school friends. As always, I was dressed in a very old comfortable cotton dress. And I had to run some errands before going out, so my dress was totally crumpled. My husband dress was equally casual – an old t-shirt and a worn out knee length trousers.
The only thing was that my husband forgot that the ‘casual meeting’ was happening at one of the biggest marriage halls in the city. They were meeting at a common friend’s wedding!
So, there we were – in one of the most posh weddings I have seen so far. Dazzling display of jewels and costly sarees all around. And we were dressed in rags!
I didn’t know anyone there, so my sole concentration was on food. The spread was amazing, taste was excellent and everything was made with pure ghee and butter. I made friends with an equally ‘lost looking’ girl, as I went along the buffet table. With a full stomach, I came back home.
After such a big feast, I couldn’t face a bowl of corn flakes the next morning. So had a mini feast of uthappams with different toppings.
- Dosa batter
- Onion , chopped
- Tomato, chopped
- Carrot , grated
- Raisins, 5-10
- Chilies, 1-2
- Peas , 4-5
- Keep the choice of toppings ready.
- Heat a pan/tawa. Add a spoon of oil and spread around the tawa.
- Take a ladle of dosa batter and spread it into a small round circle.
- Add the choice of toppings. Drizzle a tsp of oil around the uthappam.
- When bubbles appear and the bottom is slightly brown and the top portion is not ‘wet’ any more, flip over and cook the top side.
- When both the sides are cooked, serve hot with coconut/tomato chutney and sambar.
- I have made carrot and raisins uthappam, onion and green chilies uthappam, onion -tomato uthappam and onion tomato carrot peas uthappams here.
- Blogging Marathon #15, Cook by Alphabets theme. Letter ‘U’
- The Kerala Kitchen, hosted this month by Ramya’s Recipes
11 thoughts on “Uthappam”
Nice anecdote :)
Gives me the motivation to get out of bed and into the kitchen…
Love the colorful uthappams.
MIL always complains that I am not too ‘dressy’ while attending weddings[on their side]. I like to be simple but she doesn’t agree. Anyways love your uthappam platter…
LOL. what were you guys thinking…lucky no one knew you there…i usually dont attend many weddings, especially when it husbands frds or colleagues…the uttapam platter looks like an anticlimax for your story…seems appetizing even after my heavy lunch
Lol! It does happen sometime at parties. And now a days, whenever I go back home, I find myself underdressed at parties. I amazed at how much people are spending on sarees and jewelry! Being an NRI, people think I am miser and am not spending on sarees & jewlery.
Uttappams are colorful and attractive
Who cares about the dress when there is food around. The uttapams look so delicious and very well presented.
ha ha good you concentrated on the food.. can understand how to have cereals the next day?? the uttapam looks very colorful and inviting
Super cute and attractive uthappams,i dont bother to finish that whole plate..
LOL..even otherwise too I always find myself very lowly dressed when I attend such weddings..I stopped feeling abt it..:))..those uttappams are really so lovely!..love the effect you have got on your pictures..very well done..and your last pic is broken..do fix it..will come back to check it out..
Very colorful and attractive uthappams!
what variety…just for breakfast…wish I was at your house as I sit here debating what to have for breakfast!