Ideal : Get up in the morning, looking fresh and beautiful, like they do in the movies.
- Real : The first thing you hear at dawn, is your terrorized kiddo screaming – cause he got scared just by looking at your morning face.
Ideal : Happy family getting inside the AC car, going for long drives, smiling at each other all the times- like they show in the ads.
- Real : Car broken down in the middle of the road at 12 noon. All of us in a pool of sweat, bickering at each other and cursing the sun for the burning heat.
Ideal : New apartment at a relative’s place. The lift door opens and you see the aesthetically designed swimming pool. The view is design to have a calm, soothing effect as you enter the apartment.
- Real : The lift door opens, you see a fat, hairy man with a belly in swimming trunks, trying to float in the water. It does make me laugh out aloud when I think of the way its meant to be, and the way things work out.
Ideal : Bake a beautiful sponge cake, with cherries in it. Have a piece of it with your loved ones, making small talk and enjoying the time spent together.
- Real : Bake the cake, give it as a gift. And worry endlessly whether it turned out to be good or not. Blame the host for not cutting a piece and giving it to you, never mind that they had a hundred other things to do.
Recipe Source : The Book of Baking, by Thangam Philip
- Flour : 230 gm
- Baking Powder : 1 tsp
- Salt : a pinch
- Butter : 170 gm
- Sugar : 170 gm
- Eggs : 4
- Glazed Cherries : 100 gm
- Milk : 1-2 tbsp
- Vanilla Essence : 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 175 C/350 F. Grease a 9″ round cake pan.
- Wash the cherries clean and pat them dry in a kitchen towel. Quarter them.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs,one by one, and beat well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate pan.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet to get a batter of dropping consistency. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if the batter is too thick.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes free of crumbs.
- Blogging Marathon #15, Cook by Alphabets – Under ‘S’
- I Love Baking @ Tickling Palates
- Bake Fest, hosted by Sumee’s Culinary