Carrot halwa and pal payasam are the first desserts I learnt to make. Before that, it was just popping a spoonful of sugar into my mouth whenever the sugar craving set in.
Learning this dessert meant getting my fingers cut multiple times, because I never learnt the art of grating the carrot without my hands getting cut in the process. Now years later, I have become smart and I don’t get myself injured while grating carrots. Its for better things like being careless with hot pans and pots and all.
Well, there will be a day when I will stop being so accident prone. Till then, hoping for more ‘injury free’ carrot halwa days!
- Grated Carrots : 1 1/2 cups (about 3 medium carrots)
- Milk : 1 cup
- Sugar : 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder : 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Ghee : 2 tsp
- Put the grated carrots and the milk together in a microwave proof bowl.
- Microwave on high for about 15 minutes, stirring once in every 5 minutes, till the carrots are cooked.
- You can also cut the carrots into rounds, cook them with milk and pulse (not puree) them once in a mixie once its cool.
- Add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix once and add ghee and cardamom powder. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes till the liquids are almost dry.
- Decorate with chopped nuts and serve hot or cold. Serves 1-2.