Carrot halwa and pal payasam are the first desserts I learnt to make. Before that, it was just popping a spoonful of sugar into my mouth whenever the sugar craving set in.
Learning this dessert meant getting my fingers cut multiple times, because I never learnt the art of grating the carrot without my hands getting cut in the process. Now years later, I have become smart and I don’t get myself injured while grating carrots. Its for better things like being careless with hot pans and pots and all.
Well, there will be a day when I will stop being so accident prone. Till then, hoping for more ‘injury free’ carrot halwa days!
- Grated Carrots : 1 1/2 cups (about 3 medium carrots)
- Milk : 1 cup
- Sugar : 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder : 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Ghee : 2 tsp
- Put the grated carrots and the milk together in a microwave proof bowl.
- Microwave on high for about 15 minutes, stirring once in every 5 minutes, till the carrots are cooked.
- You can also cut the carrots into rounds, cook them with milk and pulse (not puree) them once in a mixie once its cool.
- Add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix once and add ghee and cardamom powder. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes till the liquids are almost dry.
- Decorate with chopped nuts and serve hot or cold. Serves 1-2.
- Blogging Marathon #14, under ‘Easy Festival Mithai’ theme (Combination of 3 themes)
- Microwave Easy Cooking, hosted this month by Killer On the Plate
- Kid’s Delight, for this month’s theme of Easy Snacks under 30 minutes
17 thoughts on “Carrot Halwa”
Thanks again for your submission to Microwave Easy Cooking March Edition. You have a great eye for photography there!
love the contrast of the super comforting green banana leaf against the orange hue of the Halwa.. almost akin to writing great poetry :) nice halwa..guess this Halwa is the initiation into cooking for most of us here, incl me :)
Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
Event : Bake Fest # 5
Love the colorful halwa and that spoon too. :)
Liked the presentation,looks so delicious :)
The halwa looks superb.. the colors compliment each other so well.. It was the first i learnt to make too :)
Ongoing Event : I’m The Star
Umm Carrot halwa looks so good!
Nice and easy one. Pretty picture
Delicious Halwa, Our Family Favorite!!!!! i too make them in MW, but my DH Loves it when i make it the traditional way on stove-top!!!!
That’s quite a differently shaped and nice spoon in the pic. I like your microwave version of the halwa.
love carrot halwa anyday!
Looks delicious. I love the colours the green and orange. Love the idea of making it in microwave.
i just finished slogging on that carrot Halwa:((…but made nearly 4kgs..so wonder if the MW version would have helped.I like the clicks..love that leaf!!..somehow its a job getting that beauty here…
Love the pic Rajini. such an easy version!!!!
Never realized you are so fond of sweets..:)..carrot halwa in mw is the simplest thing you can do…rather than slogging hrs together..pretty picture
…my favorite halva
I love the color of this halwa and the pics look so tempting with plantain leaf background. Love it totally!!!