The one thing that is famous about Chennai, is the hot climate here. Its hot here! No, let me rephrase it – its HOT here. It is only half way through in March and I am finding the heat now itself as unbearable. God knows what I am going to do when the ‘real’ summer starts two months from now. That’s when the burning heat starts.
Oh the head explodes, even at the very thought of summer. Cooling down has never been more important and no better time than now, to crave for comfort food. And thank god, dali thoy is one.
For Blog Hop Wednesdays, I have been paired with Sumedha of Sumee’s Culinary. I tried her delicious Kadhi recipe first, but it got over before I could even get the camera out. Then I made this simple Daali Thoy, a Konkani dish that I have been planning to make for a long time. Thanks Sumedha, for sharing these.
- Toor Dal : 1 cup
- Green Chillies : 2-3, per taste
- Ginger : 1″ piece, grated or chopped fine
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Ghee : 1-2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Red Chillies : 1-2
- Curry leaves : a sprig
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Wash toor dal and add the slit green chillies, grated ginger, turmeric powder to it. Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles or till the dal is cooked.
- Once the pressure drops, take the dal out and mash it thoroughly (I took the chillies out and then gave a round in the mixie).
- Heat ghee in a kadai, add mustard seeds and asafoetida. Once the mustard splutters, add the red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the dal to it. If the dal is too thick, you can adjust the constituency by adding water.
- Add the required amount of salt and let it boil for 4-5 minutes. Take off the heat. Serve with white rice, a spicy side dish of your choice and a pickle.
Linked to :
11 thoughts on “Dali Thoy (or dali toi) – A Simple Dal, the Konkani way”
Nice one! Konkanis can’t do without this delicious simple dish.
Dal looks great and nice texture.
Looks like a simple recipe. Lovely vibrant colour.
comfort food use everyday
Dal looks yummy
Thnx for trying this out Rajani.. It’s simple yet delicious daal.. Yeah, kadi is one of our fav too.. :o)
yumm…similar to our goda varan up here..lovely pic, Even I am dreading the heat, though in mumbai things are still better off
Yummy looking dal.
Inviting you to participate in Cook Eat Delicious Desserts Event- Wholesome Desserts with no refined sugar or flours
super comfort food…. love it
superb clicks, and I loved the wooden ladle Rajni :) yummy comfort food !
yes, heard the heat is on @ chennai… tk cr !
Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
Event : Bake Fest # 5
This is really a simple comfort food rajani. The heat is unbearable like you said.