When someone is given 26 days for a recipe, and that too one which takes less than twenty minutes to prepare from beginning to end and requires less than five ingredients, you would expect it to be ready as soon as possible. But no, not me.
Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy scones (a/k/a biscuits) to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!
I kept postponing it, thinking worriedly about the last time I made these. Hubby nearly broke his tooth and kiddo used it as paper weight and I ended up throwing them in the dust bin. They went down make a huge ‘clink’ sound, like a stone would have made.
I finally pushed my worries aside and made these sweet fruit scones this afternoon, on the day it has to go live! But the recipe was short, sweet and had crystal clear instructions that even I couldn’t mess it up! But if I had paid a bit more attention, I wouldn’t have forgotten to fold the dough to get some layers and height. But still, I am happy with the batch I made.
Even though I made it in the last minute, all of us enjoyed this treat immensely. Thanks Audax, you really rock!
- All Purpose Flour : 1 cup
- Baking Powder : 2 tsp
- Butter,cold : 30 gms (2tbsp)
- Cold Milk : 1/2 cup
- Salt : 1/4 tsp
- Raisins : 1/3 cup
- Sugar : 1 tbsp
- Pre heat the oven at 240C.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt three times together.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces and rub it into the flour till it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add all of the milk in one go and mix with a spatula or flat knife to bring it all together.
- In a floured surface, take this dough out and kneed for 4-5 times. Fold the dough from both ends to the center and press and do it once again.
- Flatten the dough and cut it into squares or cut out the desired shape using a biscuit cutter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on the scones once it reaches the 6 minute mark.
- Serve hot with jam and butter.
- Step by step pictures and the entire recipe can be viewed here.