We are going home today and I have started the cleaning, packing and of course, worrying. I won’t have any peace of mind until we reach my place. Once I am there, I will start worrying about our home in Chennai. Did I lock the door, did I close the bathroom tap, did I take the garbage out…there are endless things I worry about!
I wasn’t always this bad. I used to love the train journey to Trivandrum (my native place). The 15 hour journey used to be an exciting thing in itself. The people, the travel and of course the food, adds color to it.
The non-stop chanting of the vendors carrying food itself is a treat to watch. Shouts of ‘Chaii Chaii’, ‘Kappi Kappi Kappi’, ‘Vadae Vada Vadae Vada’ and ‘Samosa Samosa’ fill the compartments and for the past some years, you get to hear ‘Soooup Sooooup Tomato Sooooup’ also. My son’s love affair with the ‘red color soup’ started there.
Here is my take on the rich, creamy tomato soup.
- Tomato : 4 big, chopped
- Onion : 1, chopped
- Garlic : 1 clove, minced
- Flour : 1 tbsp
- Veg Stock : 1 cup
- Milk : 1 cup
- Oil/Butter : 1-2 tsp
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat oil or butter in a pan, add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook till the onion turns brown.
- Add the tomatoes, cook for 3-4 minutes and add the vegetable stock (I used stock cubes and water).
- Combine the milk and the flour in a separate pan. Make sure there aren’t any dry lumps.
- Add the milk-flour mix and salt to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes, till the soup thickens.
- Take off the heat and let it cool. Blend once cold and pass through a sieve. Throw out the seeds and skin.
- Heat the soup and bring back to a boil. Serve with a piece of toasted bread.
- Blogging Marathon (under Soups and Salads theme)
- Soups and Salads Mela
6 thoughts on “Creamy Tomato Soup”
I like the house and the train in the back drop ..very creative!!
nice soup and what lovely pictures
Super tempting soup,love it..
That soup looks gorgeous! My son has a similar train set with Percy and Thomas.
Slurrp. This soup has always been my favorites. The clicks are very cute.