The weekend is here, and there I was – browsing to my heart’s content, late into the night, happy about the fact that Bebo has no school tomorrow.
Little did I know what was in store for me this morning. The entire place shook for a minute! It took me sometime to understand that it was not an earthquake, just Bebo waking me up. God! Don’t kids get the idea of weekends? Of sleeping late? Of taking it easy? Apparently not. So long story short, me and Harry were awake at 6:15 this morning.
Bebo was bright and brisk and immediately got down to his business. Kiddo was playing happily after his morning breakfast. Me and Harry, bleary eyed, were looking at each other and sighing. The joy of parenthood is pretty dull early in the mornings :))! Still, can’t complain. Bebo wakes up on week days for our sake, so its only fair that Harry gives up his sleep for Bebo’s sake on weekends ;-).
Spinach : 500 gms (one big bunch)
Onion : 1 medium, chopped
Rice : 1 cup (cooked rice)
Butter : 1- 2 tbsp
All purpose flour : 1 tbsp
Milk : 1 cup
Egg : 1
Chilli flakes : 1 -2 tsp
Garlic : 2-3 pods, crushed
Bread crumbs : made from 2 slices of bread, about 3/4 cup
Salt, Pepper : to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a rectangular baking dish.
- Clean the spinach, cover and cook with a tablespoon of water for a few minutes till the spinach is wilted.
- In a pan, combine the butter, flour and milk. Heat, stirring continuously to get a smooth, lump free sauce. Dilute with water or stock, if the sauce is too thick. Season with salt,pepper and chilli flakes.
- Add the spinach, rice, chopped onion, garlic and the lightly beaten eggs to the sauce. Mix everything till combined.
- Transfer to the baking dish, press lightly. Add the bread crumbs all over on the top.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes till the top turns brown.
Next time, I will be sauteing the onion and garlic before using them.
You can top it with cheese, instead of bread crumbs. You can add more seasonings according to your taste.