Yeah, you read it right. Its Lady’s ‘Figure’, not finger – at least that’s how it was labelled in the supermarket.
My neighbor, who saw this, pointed it out to the sales girls there. The girls confidently said that its the right spelling. Having the sense not to argue, my neighbor moved on to the next item ‘Bottem Guard’,or bitter gourd as the rest of us know it. The rest of the items were labelled correctly. I wish there was a picture of it to share!
Back to the Kichadi, this is an easy side dish. I use the microwave method, which is really easier than the stove top method. The only way to make it even easier (don’t think I didn’t explore it!) is to call up your mom and ask her to cook it for you. Since that is not an option for me (mom is in Trivandrum), I will stick to the microwave method.
Vendakka/Okra/ Lady’s Finger : 1/4 kg (about 15), cut into fine rounds
Coconut : 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Jeera/Cumin : 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies : 1
Curd/Yogurt : 1 cup
Mustard seeds : 1tsp, for seasoning
Red chillies :1, for seasoning
Curry leaves : a few
Oil: 1-2 tsp, to saute
Salt: to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the okra to it. Cook, stirring occasionally till okra is cooked. You can close with a lid for a minute or two in between, to fasten the cooking process.
- Turn off the heat once its cooked. If possible, cook till the okra is crisp. Keep aside.
- Grind together the coconut, mustard seeds, jeera and green chillies with a bit of water, into a smooth paste.
- Add this mixture to the yogurt, add salt and mix nicely.
- When its serving time, mix the yogurt mixture and the okra nicely.
- Heat oil and season with mustard, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add the kichadi to the pan and let it cook for a minute before serving.
- Serve hot with rice.
The crispy okra will go soft when mixed with curd. So, you need to mix it only at the time of serving. You can even season the yogurt mixture and keep aside, so that all you have to do is mix okra to it at the time of serving.
- Add a spoonful or two of oil to the okra and microwave for about 8-10 minutes, stirring once in between.
- If its not crisp by then, keep for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add to the yogurt & coconut mixture at the time of serving.